Libelle Mail Archive Manual
Setting up automatic archiving
The maloader.conf file controls MALoader and should
have already been edited to define the runtime conditions for the
mail archiving run.
Setting up Automatic archiving is done in two steps:
- Define a cron job that runs MALoader in the Libelle Mail
Archive user at the required frequency. Normally it is
sufficient to run the loader overnight at a quiet time that
doesn't clash with backups, etc. Take the following points into
account when you create the cron job:
- The job definition should be put in
- Define MAILTO=root so that the run report
will be mailed to root.
- Specify that the job must be run under the Libelle Mail
- Make sure the command line contains the
2>&1 argument so that the run report will
contain text written to both stdout and
- Command line options should not be needed: the correct
runtime parameters are all set in maloader.conf
- Change your MTA configuration so that copies of all inbound
and outbound messages are sent to the Libelle Mail Archive
user. Postfix merely requires an always_bcc parameter to
be added to master.cf. Other MTAs should provide an
The loader is quite fast. Representative figures are given here.
However, it can be slowed down by the DNS queries it uses to
verify e-mail senders' addresses. If this is a problem, consider
running a cacheing DNS server because this will reduce the
network traffic generated by MALoader.